I. Ask and answer the following questions in pairs.
1. What is the lesson about?
2. What was Mr. Liang’s quotation?
3. What did Mr. Lakins think of the price?
4. This price was somewhat higher than that of last year’s, wasn’t it?
5. Was Mr. Lakins prepared to accept the prices?
6. Why did Mr. Lakins say that it would be hopeless for Mr. Liang to get the business?
7. What reduction was he prepared to make?
8. Did Mr. Lakins suggest meeting each other halfway?
9. What is the meaning of meeting each other halfway?
10. Did Mr. Lakings suggest meeting each other halfway?
11. What is the meaning of meeting each other halfway?
12. tell about the bargaining over the price in your own words.
II. Multiple Choice.
1. We _____ to allow you a special discount if you increase your order to 5,000 pairs.
have prepared do prepare
are prepared were prepared
2. A growing demand often leads to ______ prices.
to increase increased
3. If you don’t _____ your price into line with the world market, you’ll lose the business.
4. Yours price is ______ higher than those we can get from other sources.
5. In the end the seller ______ his idea of increasing the price by 3%.
gave himself up gave up
gave in gave over
6. We cannot make you an offer because the goods are ______.
without stock not in stock
out of stock no stock